McKinney Modern Quilt Guild
GUILD MEETING 09/17
09 September 17 / 6:30 PM / Stitched with Love
CALL TO ORDER
- President Stephanie Schroer called our meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
- Membership: 42 people present, with 6 guests!
- Treasurer: This month our report is - Beginning Balance: $6607.37. Revenue: $40.00, Expenses: $371.97 (Retreat deposit & monthly recurring expenses), Ending balance: $6275.40.
- Secretary: August minutes are published to the blog
- QuiltCON Charity Quilt - Bonnie has postcards printed up with our charity quilt photo on it and created raffle tickets. We will sell tickets for $1 each or 6 for $5. We’re asking every member to sell 10 tickets, which we distributed at this meeting in May. We’ll also display our quilt at local shops and to other quilt guild meetings to sell tickets. Our plan for proceeds will be half to the guild and half to Samaritan Inn. The raffle winner will be drawn at the December meeting. Whoever sells the most charity tickets will receive a prize!
- CASA of Collin County - CASA kids spend a lot of time in court and the local leader of CASA of Collin County, Lori Greer, requested we make activity items for the kids. We will make crayon/toy car rollups (8 jumbo crayons per box or 8 toy cars), pencil cases (12 colored pencils per box), and notepad cases to help keep kids entertained. Please take a kit and the instructions will be on the website.
- Stitched with Love Quilt Challenge - we are going to donate charity quilts to Lynn to donate to cancer patients. There are a few tops/backing/binding kits available to take.
- The Nominating Committee is needed for the Board of 2018. Chris, Charlene, Gayle, Nelda & Bethany have volunteered!
EVENTS - Community Service, Challenges, Swaps, Retreats, and Bees
- Sunday Sew Day - on hold for the summer. Stay tuned for a social replacement.
- Bees are in full swing! You can still join too! Email mckinneymqg at gmail dot com and we’ll forward to our Bee mama. Low Key Bee did house blocks for Chris; Social Bee will do blocks for Gail on Sunday at Not Your Mama's Quilt Shop.
- Retreat in September at Create-A-Way cottage owned by Nelda in Collinsville, TX. Signups will start in June. Dates are 29Sep-1Oct. We will collect a $50 deposit, $130 total. BYOFood. 13 people will be able to participate. There are 4 spots still available!
- Sew Inspired Swap - our new swap, due in November! From fabric & thread, make a decorative item to inspire your swap partner in their sewing space. We've swapped partners tonight & you have until November to create - this can be a secret swap if you want.
- Michael Miller Our Yard Challenge - Fabric has arrived!!! Nelda, Becky, Meagan, & Allyson all received.
- Dresden Swap Challenge Final Reveal in October! The final projects are due next meeting! This was a long term swap project. If you are new to the challenge, we made 6-12 Dresden plates to swap - any size, any number of plates to create the whole circle, any color scheme within the theme. Bring back a finished top or quilt to the October meeting.
- Color theme - Color cards were passed out for reference. Bella solids colors as inspiration: Petunia, Geranium, Mustard, Marigold, Amelia Blue, Betty’s Red Horizon Blue, Turquoise, Iris, Amelia Green, Kelly
- September - Initial K was unable to come to McKinney this month due to travel concerns and assistance with her parent's cleanup from Hurricane Harvey. Instead, Lynn did a fabulous job arranging an impromptu presentation on long-arming. Lynn & Dianne gave us a fabulous demonstration on the Handiquilter longarms available in the shop.
- October - Member profiles - get to know some of your fellow members better. We'll get to know the stories behind several guild mates creative journeys.
- November - Annual Pinterest Party
- December - Holiday Party
- Early Spring - Initial K; May 2018 - A Quilter's Table
MEETING WRAP UP
- Show & Tell was held.
- Birthday certificates were handed out.
- Door prizes were drawn
- Stitched with Love revealed this month's discount.
Join us for our next meeting at Stitched with Love on 10/3/2017 at 6:30 - 6:00 social hour!