pincushions to swap

Hello Modern Quilters! How are you all? I hope you are enjoying some happy sewing days. Have you made a pincushion yet for our swap in May? Mine is done and ready (unless, of course, I become very attached to it, In which case I will make another!) Do you need some ideas to give you a jump start? Well today is your lucky day.

Here are a few of the awesome pincushions that I have received in swaps. I just love displaying them in my sewing space. They are a constant reminder of the stitchy friends who made them for me. I would love to add one of yours to my collection!

There is no end of ideas on the internet for pincushions to make. I have created a pinterest board full of ideas I love. Some of them are just pictures from blogs or flikr, but many link to free tutorials. Here are just a few of the many free pincushion tutorials online:

pincushion in a cup
tuna can pincushion
pincushion cottage
victorian pincushion
mouse pincushion
chicken pincushions
cathedral window pincushion
sugar cube pincushion

You may be wondering what to fill your pincushion with when it's finished. Some of the patterns call for stuffing or fiberfill. If you choose to use this, you will want to fill your pincushion up very tightly to give it some substance and weight. I personally prefer to fill mine up with crushed walnut shells. These make for a nice sturdy pincushion. Also, the walnut shells help to sharpen up your pins when you use your pincushion.

Now before you go running off to the kitchen to crush walnut shells (wow, that would be messy, wouldn't it?) get your car keys and head to the pet store. Yes! You heard me right. You can purchase a good sized bag of Lizard Litter at the pet store fairly inexpensively which is, you guessed it, crushed walnut shells! You will have enough leftover to fill many many more pincushions. I keep mine in a plastic storage bin with a lid and a scoop inside.

Once you start making pincushions you won't want to stop! They are a fun little birthday gift for your sewing friends, mothers day gift for moms who stitch, treat for a new young sewer.... oh and the perfect swap item for your Modern Quilt Guild buddies!

I can't wait to see you all on May 6 at our next meeting (6:30 at Stitched With Love). Bring your pincushion in a paper bag to keep it a surprise.

Happy Sewing!
Ellyn