McKinney Modern Quilt Guild
GUILD MEETING 06/17
06 June 2017 / 6:30 PM / Stitched with Love
CALL TO ORDER
- Vice-President of Communications, Martha Cavazos Fipps, called our meeting to order at 6:32 with some icebreaker watermelon jokes!
- Membership: 40 people present, 4 guests!
- Treasurer: If you have questions or would like a copy of our 2 year summary report given last month, email treasurer at mckmqg@gmail dot com. This month our report is - Beginning Balance: $6048.27. Revenue: $300 from memberships, Expenses: $150.70, Ending balance: $6197.57.
- Secretary: May minutes are published to the blog
- QuiltCON Charity Quilt - Bonnie has postcards printed up with our charity quilt photo on it and created raffle tickets. We will sell tickets for $1 each or 6 for $5. We’re asking every member to sell 10 tickets, which we distributed at this meeting in May. We’ll also display our quilt at local shops and to other quilt guild meetings to sell tickets. Our plan for proceeds will be half to the guild and half to Samaritan Inn. The raffle winner will be drawn at the December meeting. Whoever sells the most charity tickets will receive a prize!
- CASA of Collin County - CASA kids spend a lot of time in court and the local leader of CASA of Collin County, Lori Greer, requested we make activity items for the kids. We will make crayon/toy car rollups (8 jumbo crayons per box or 8 toy cars), pencil cases (12 colored pencils per box), and notepad cases to help keep kids entertained. Please take a kit and the instructions will be on the website.
- Stitched with Love Quilt Challenge - we are going to donate charity quilts to Lynn to donate to cancer patients. There are a few tops/backing/binding kits available to take.
- We are in the process of purchasing insurance per our bylaws. The MQG National has set up appropriate insurance policies for our guild and negotiated a great rate of $299. This is significantly discounted.
- July 4th meeting will be moved to July 11th and will be held at Fire Station No 7 in McKinney. Same time, different place. We will have a picnic & a party!
EVENTS - Community Service, Challenges, Swaps, Retreats, and Bees
- Sunday Sew Day - on hold for the summer. Stay tuned for a social replacement.
- Bees are in full swing! You can still join too! Email mckinneymqg at gmail dot com and we’ll forward to our Bee mama. Low Key Bee did a “Big Bertha” block designed by Catherine for Charlene; Social Bee did a pieced block for Loide; Extreme Bee did paper pieced reverse pineapple blocks for BettePat; Sarah (Social Bee) Juliette (Low Key) & Lisa (Extreme) are up this month!
- Retreat in September at Create-A-Way cottage owned by Nelda in Collinsville, TX. Signups will start in June. Dates are 29Sep-1Oct. We will collect a $50 deposit. BYOFood. 13 people will be able to participate.
- Dresden Swap Challenge Continues! This is a long term swap. You will have until August to complete the first part! Make 6-12 Dresden plates to swap - any size, any number of plates to create the whole circle, any color scheme within the theme. The outside edges need to be finished (no raw outer edges!), use clean points or interfacing to prep a round or straight edge for applique. The inside circle can be left unfinished. Do not attach these dresdens to a background! Bring back a finished top or quilt to the November meeting.
- Color theme - Color cards were passed out for reference. Bella solids colors as inspiration: Petunia, Geranium, Mustard, Marigold, Amelia Blue, Betty’s Red Horizon Blue, Turquoise, Iris, Amelia Green, Kelly
- Color of the Year Challenge - Pantone Greenery (Bella Kelly) & Kona Flamingo are the colors of the year! Use one of the colors and do something that stretches your boundaries! Get outside your comfort zone - use one or both of the colors in a quilt or sewing project that stretches your boundaries.
Three of our wonderful members gave a presentation about modern applique techniques - Diann Loper, Joellen Brill & Martha Wolf. Back basting, needle turn, & raw edge were demonstrated for us.
- Upcoming July - Picnic & Party
- Upcoming September - Initial K will be coming to McKinney
MEETING WRAP UP
- Show & Tell was held.
- 4 birthday certificates were handed out.
- Door prizes were drawn - 6 were prizes won - gift cards to Not Your Mama’s & Happiness is Quilting, applique kit from Martha, & 10” squares in colors for the dresden challenge, a pack of 5 spools Mettler thread, & a FQ from Stitched with Love!
- Stitched with Love revealed this month's discount (15% on everything!).
Join us for our next meeting which is slightly different. We’ll meet July 11th at Fire Station #7 @ 6:30, 6:00 social hour. Enjoy the 4th of July with your families!