Where to Eat in Austin

Austin is known for being a bit weird and has a vibrant music and art scene, which expands into culinary experiences. I've yet to go somewhere in Austin that I haven't liked. For our QuiltCon bound members, I've put together a list of my favorite places eat and visit as well as places close to the convention center.

Looking for Only in Austin?

For weird go to Gourdough's Public House on South Lamar. Here everything is served on a doughnut. Not just any doughnut, one of the best doughnuts you'll ever have. Gourdough's has both savory menu and dessert menu. I recommend splitting a dessert with a friend. My favorite menu items: Country Clucker (Chicken Fried Steak), Sausy Cock (Buffalo Chicken Sandwich), Side of Brussel Sprouts and any dessert doughnut. 

For fame go to Franklin's Barbecue, "Serving the best barbecue in the known Universe" (Texas Monthly). This is an attraction that will take up your entire morning. The barbecue is amazing, but plan to be in line early, like 6 or 7a early. Franklin's opens at 11am, (closed on Mondays).

Check out Via 313, I've heard this genuine Detriot-style pizza place is the best in Austin. I've not been myself, but hope to try it soon. They've got a few locations around town, so you are sure to be near one at some point. Gluten-free and dairy-free cheese options available.

Looking for Healthy?

Blenders and Bowls is my favorite healthy breakfast pick in Austin and is only 2 blocks from the convention center. They serve a variety of smoothies and bowls (vegan, paleo, dairy-free). My favorite menu item is The Sesher but be sure to check out their seasonal menu when you visit.

True Food Kitchen is one of my favorites for a healthy lunch or dinner. It is the place to go for our Vegan, Vegetarian and Gluten-Free friends. It's a short Lyft drive away from the convention center, 1-mile drive or .8 to walk.

Also nearby is Flower Child, also Vegetarian, Vegan, and Gluten-Free friendly. I've never been myself but the reviews and menu look very promising!

Looking for Atmosphere?

On a nice afternoon or evening, go to Easy Tiger about 3 blocks from the convention center. Take the stairs down to their Beer Garden and find yourself a table tucked between the buildings and greenery with string lights overhead. Order yourself a pretzel, charcuterie, sausage, sandwich or pastry. For non-drinkers, don't worry, they also have coffees, teas and sodas. So far I've enjoyed everything I've had here. It's a nice place to wind down for the evening.  "Easy Start" Weekdays 7-11a get a small coffee and any pastry for $5. Happy Hour (drinks and snacks) Weekdays 4:30-6:30p. "Easy Lunch" Weekdays 11a-4p $9 sandwich, side and drink special.

Closest Lunch Places?

Coffee shops are great to run to in-between classes. They've got small to-go bites and that caffeine pick-me-up. There are two Starbucks locations about a block each from the convention center.

Austin Taco Project sits directly across the street from the convention center. It has a number of Gluten-Free options, but limited on Vegan options. 

Iron Works Barbecue is right next to the convention center. Check out their sandwich and bake potato menu for a small bite to eat. Not the best option for vegetarians, but they do have an all-you-can-eat salad bar.

Downtown Burgers, right across from the convention center is this burger pit stop with outdoor seating.

Gus's World Famous Hot & Spicy Friend Chicken, I've never been myself, but it's very well known and a block from the convention center. One day I'll make it here..

Also, don't forget the previously mentioned Blenders and Bowls.

It's Austin, you can't go wrong

Really, Austin has amazing places to eat. This is just a short list of places for you might enjoy. If you've got a favorite I didn't mention, be sure to comment so I can check it out next month!

Kelleigh
Frequent Eater and VP of Communications