McKinney Modern Quilt Guild
GUILD MEETING 04/17
04 APRIL 2017 / 6:30 PM / Stitched with Love
- Membership: 51 individuals present, 6 of those were guests.
- Treasurer: Kelleigh gave an extended report for the last 2 years of the guild financials as well as this month's report. If you have questions or would like a copy of the report, email treasurer at mckmqg@gmail dot com. Beginning balance: $5689.19; Expenses $110.99; Revenue $400; Ending Balance $5978.20.
- Secretary: March minutes are published to the blog
- Charity: The charity quilt is back from QuiltCon! Bonnie (who has brought a lot of energy to the Charity position) will have postcards printed up with our charity quilt photo on it - we will have a photoshoot at a well-known McKinney landmark -- and create raffle tickets. We will sell tickets for $1 each or 6 for $5. We’re asking every member to sell 10 tickets, which we plan to distribute in May. We’ll also display our quilt at local shops and to other quilt guild meetings to sell tickets. Our plan for proceeds will be half to the guild and half to Samaritan Inn. The raffle winner will be drawn at the December meeting. Whoever sells the most charity tickets will receive a prize!
Events - Community Service, Challenges, Swaps, Retreats, and Bees
- Sunday Charity Sew Work Day - Sunday, April 9 will be a Charity Sew Day. We plan to sort through fabric & cut kits to create needs for CASA kids. Lori Greer is the head of CASA locally & has asked us for items like crayon roll-ups, string backbacks, etc. We will also be making blue awareness ribbons to be worn
- Sunday Sew Day - April 23 at 12-5 at Not Your Mama’s Quilt Shop, signups passed out at the meeting. An email reminder will go out to those that sign up as well.
- Dallas Quilt Show was March 10-12. We had a meetup for our guild at 1100 AM in the cafeteria on Saturday, March 11. See Instagram for photos!
- Bees are in full swing! You can still join too! Email mckinneymqg at gmail dot com and we’ll forward to Christina. Social Bee did a paper pieced block for Catherine in shades of peach & coral; Low Key Bee did a pieced block for Gail; Extreme Bee did No Y Seam Star for Sarah; Michelle (Social Bee) Ann (Low Key) Susan (Extreme) are up this month!
- Riley Blake Challenge is due at the end of May for those who are participating.
- Retreat in September at Create-A-Way cottage owned by Nelda. More details to be announced in May.
- Bunny Bag Swap - We swapped spring bunny bags/baskets with little treats inside.
- New Dresden Swap Challenge! This is a long term swap. You will have until August to complete the first part! Make 6-12 Dresden plates to swap - any size, any number of plates to create the whole circle, any color scheme within the theme. The outside edges need to be finished (no raw outer edges!), use clean points or interfacing to prep a round or straight edge for applique. The inside circle can be left unfinished. Do not attach these dresdens to a background! Bring back a finished top or quilt to the November meeting.
- Color theme - Color cards were passed out for reference. Bella solids as inspiration: Petunia, Geranium, Mustard, Marigold, Amelia Blue, Betty’s Red Horizon Blue, Turquoise, Iris, Amelia Green, Kelly
This month we had a tool/technique program on Dresden’s. The earliest Dresden pattern is from 1785 and a Dresden refers to multiple wedges that come together to make a circle. Victorian Fans, or Quarter Dresdens, were popular in the 1800’s. In the 1900’s traditional Dresden Quilts became popular, getting their name from popular collectible plates from Dresden, Germany. A good technique is to always align and get the small end of the Dresden square against the fabric grain. Check out May Chappell’s blog for more technique ideas.
- Upcoming September - Initial K will be coming to McKinney
MEETING WRAP UP
- Show & Tell was held.
- 2 birthday certificates were handed out.
- Door prizes were drawn - 6 prizes won - including some QuiltCON Swag!
- Stitched with Love revealed this month's discount (Discount on full yard cuts).