McKinney Modern Quilt Guild
GUILD MEETING 03/17
07 MARCH 2017 / 6:30 PM / Stitched with Love
- Membership: 42 members present with 6 guests
- Treasurer: We started with $9439.59; Expenses were $4491 (Sunset Retreat $3635, National Dues $850, Stitched with Love Birthday FQ $6); Deposits $930 (Dues & Retreat payments); Ended with $5878.59.
- Secretary: February minutes are published to the blog.
Events - Community Service, Challenges, Swaps, Retreats, and Bees
- Sunday Sew Day - March 26 at noon-5 at Not Your Mama’s Quilt Shop, signups passed out at the meeting. An email reminder will go out to those that sign up as well.
- Dallas Quilt Show is this year. It’s the biggest show in our area and it is Friday-Sunday, March 10-12. We will have a meetup for our guild at 1100 AM in the cafeteria on Saturday, March 11.
- Upcoming Challenge/Swap - Bunny Basket Swap - you will make a bunny basket. See Catherine’s pinterest board for ideas (drawstring bags, 1 hour basket, and an open wide pouch are some examples). $5-10 maximum for basket fillings. NO EXCEPTIONS - DON’T go crazy filling your baskets!
- MCKMQG 2017 Bee Season has begun. Bees are starting this month! Remember to keep up!
- Modern Mystery Block of the Month - We are at the end of our Modern Mystery Block of the Month challenge, created by Alice & Catherine Dutton. 7 finishes were shown off this month. Did you miss out? You can look at the history on Instagram by searching the hashtags #modernmysterybom and #mckmqg.
- Modern Fat Quarter Challenge: Last month we swapped modern FQ’s drew an element of modern quilting to showcase in a handmade item. Modern elements we saw demonstrated were High Contrast & Graphic Areas of Solid Color, Improvisational Piecing, Minimalism, Negative Space, Alternate Gridwork.
Several of our members attended QuiltCON in Savannah, GA. Modern Traditionalism was highly demonstrated this year as well as quilts made from solids. An improvisational trend was also highlighted - this technique continues to evolve. Overall improv vs planned improv is a new discussion in the quilt world.
We heard from 3 of our members this month that told their stories of quilting and life. We love getting to know our members in depth and listening to their stories of the journey into quilting and into modern quilting. Beth Worley, Mari Hafstein, and Allyson Talbot all spoke and gave us trunk shows of their work and creations.
- Upcoming April - tool/technique program
- Upcoming September - Initial K will be coming to McKinney
MEETING WRAP UP
- Show & Tell was held.
- 2 birthday certificates were handed out.
- Door prizes were drawn - 6 prizes won - including some QuiltCON Swag!
- Stitched with Love revealed this month's discount (17% off precuts!).
Join us for our next meeting! April 4 @ 6:30, 6:00 social hour